Wednesday 3 June 2009

A few tips


I'm just going to give you a few tips today simple ideas and tricks to help you along in bushcraft.
as we all know carrying a small selection of "bits & bobs" is a good idea but what are those bits & bobs?? Well i,ll let you know what i carry every time I'm in the woods for longer than a couple of hours.
Firstly i ALWAYS carry a small first aid kit.
A small good quality fixed blade knife.
A ferro rod (fire steel), a small amount of tinder card, for lighting my fires.
550 para cord.
Folding saw.
Compass, map of the area.
waterbottle, steel mug.
tinder pouch (for collecting tinders)
and a handful of mints in my pocket.
Natural tinders
The collection of natural tinders should be always on your mind and when you are out in the field take advantage of them as you pass by. I use a small waterproof pouch to collect my natural tinders and always take advantage of silver birch shedding its bark (in my opinion the best natural tinder) and rose bay willow herb seed pods as these are really good.
Take note!!
I always take notes of the areas i walk and scout out for potential useful wildings as you might need to improvise food, shelter, medicine and tools all of which you might need in the future and may want to use. but remember to use all wild foods and resources sparingly and NEVER use all of one resource give it a chance to spread and grow.
Take only what you need not what you want!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment